Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: March 31, 2009

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 01 2009 - 05:00:42 PDT

Re: Blooms, Higher-Order Thinking, & Art
   I was pretty surprised that someone got through an education
program without Bloom's Taxonomy, but here's another resource: Eric
Jensen's book, "Arts with the Brain in Mind". Shows actual cognitive
research that supports all the Bloom's Taxonomy levels! In fact, many
colleges offer grad seminars on this book. It has been integral in my
discussions with students, parents, administration about what we are
doing in art (i.e. not just "make & take").
   I made my own poster comparing art process to the writing process,
to help connect the dots for my upper elementary kiddos. Here's the
basic gist:
Stages of the Creative Act- 1) Perception stage 2) Incubation stage 3)
Insight stage 4) Elaboration stage 5) Expression stage 6) Evaluate
Stages of the Writing Act- 1) Prewrite/Brainstorm 2) Rough Draft 3)
Revise 4) Edit (tweak) 5) Finalize (finish).
   To go a step further, art is a lot like the scientific method also:
ask a question, research, hypothesize, experiment, draw conclusions,
etc.
hope that helps!
Lois G.

--
Life is short, art is long...-Hippocrates