Re: [teacherartexchange] painting a backdrop

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 05:09:59 PDT

I would definitely go with acrylic on gessoed fabric. It shouldn't
crack unless you really cake it on thick. You could water down the
gesso a little so it doesn't go on as thickly. You're also going to
need to make a stretcher to stretch it out on and paint it, at least
during the gesso stage.

You could paint on wallpaper, too -- we use that a lot for cheap drama
backdrops. This would make it so you don't have to use gesso.

Another idea is using an Airbrush on a white or light-colored sheet...
would make a flexible, fabric backdrop with a matte surface. (Even
spraypaint with stencils, as long as you're working on a flat surface
and you weigh your stencil down so it lays really flat, for a nice,
clean, professional edge. If done correctly, this method looks as
good as airbrush.

--
Carpe You Some Diem!
Website: http://www.rebeccaburch.com