Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: April 29, 2008

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 05:09:29 PDT

"specials" are the classroom teachers' planning periods, so principals
generally use that as their guide. I have 10 3rd, 4th, & 5th grades
once a week for 45 minutes, so I know what would be preferable (but
not possible in my district with current staffing): 1hour for all 3
grades, once a week. If anything, my third graders need more time, not
less, especially when we do clay (I go through 2,000 lbs. a year) or
when we are painting. Once you count demo. and clean-up time, (5
min./10 min.), a 45 minute class is down to 30 minutes of studio time.
Also, if you are doing yearbook duties, I hope you are receiving a
stipend!
-Lois