RE: [teacherartexchange] clay

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2008 - 15:56:11 PDT

Throwing with little ones is a possibility. Our best potter started at age 8 at the local art center. He is now a sophomore at Rhode Island School of Design. I would recommend that you sharpen your skills on the potter's wheel and offer it only as a club, or afterschool activity so that you work with a smaller group of students. On the high school level, I used to train students in pairs so that they coached each other on the wheel, and in that way I could help the whole class. Half would be on the wheel with their coaches talking them through, and then they would switch. Before I knew it, everyone was on "automatic pilot" and I only had to teach new ideas to the whole class like trimming, handles, lids, combination pieces, etc, then they coached each other in those areas as well.

San D