re:[teacherartexchange] Meet the Masters

---------

From: Deborah Gilbert (dngart1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2008 - 09:08:11 PDT

On Sunday, April 27, 2008, at 02:00 AM, Woody wrote:

> I went to:
> http://www.meetthemasters.com/homeschool/gallery.html
> and looked at samples of children's art from the program.
> It did not appear to be copying the artists work but rather
> learning about their style and approach. It would appear
> to be a harmless supplement to any elementary art
> program. I'd think it would be unnecessary to purchase
> it since any good art teacher introduces various artists
> styles anyway.
> Woody

I disagree Woody! If you go in and look at the step by step of the
curriculum, they have students copying, in a very prescriptive manner,
the way to paint "Starry Night" just like Van Gogh. Looks very rigid
and doesn't allow for much creativity at all!! In fact, on the web
page, it says that it is 'easy enough for any family to find time for
in their busy schedules'... so it doesn't sound like something I would
consider EVER using in my classroom.

Deborah in Denver