RE: [teacherartexchange] Left/Right Brain Animation :-)

---------

From: Cheryl Lloyd (clloyd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2008 - 13:29:43 PDT

Ok, so this debate has been going on at my site. It is hilarious. This
is one of the emails from our tech teacher. I thought you all might
enjoy it.

From an email our tech teacher wrote:
In the hope that I can help put this one to bed......

The image is not objectively "spinning" in one direction or the other.
It is a two-dimensional image that is simply shifting back and forth.
But our brains did not evolve to interpret two-dimensional
representations of the world but the actual three-dimensional world. So
our visual processing assumes we are looking at a 3-D image and it uses
clues to interpret it as such. Or, without adequate clues it may just
arbitrarily decide a best fit - spinning clockwise or counterclockwise.
And once this fit is chosen, the illusion is complete - we see a 3-D
spinning image. Our brains actually construct more of our world for us
than we actually give credit for and new research with modern technology
is blowing away all the old myths of brain function.

By looking around the image, focusing on the shadow (I found the feet to
be a good place) or some other part, you may force your visual system to
reconstruct the image and it may choose the opposite direction, and
suddenly the image will spin in the opposite direction.

The original news article, like many others, ignores the true source of
this optical illusion and instead claims it is a quick test to see if
you use more of your right brain or left brain. This is utter nonsense,
but the "right-brain/left brain" thing is in the public consciousness
and won't be going away anytime soon. Sure, we have two hemispheres that
operate fine independently and have different abilities, but they are
massively interconnected and work together as a seamless whole
(providing you have never had surgery to cut your corpus callosum).

We also do have hemispheric dominance, but that determines mostly your
handedness and the probability of language being on the right or the
left. There is also often asymmetry for memory, with some being right or
left hemisphere dominant. But none of this means that your personality
or abilities are more right brain or left brain. That much is nonsense.
So for anyone who admits to being a left brain or right brain
person..well done...you are admiiting you only use half your
brain..Hmmmmmm.

Further, how your visual cortex constructs this optical illusion says
nothing about your hemispheric dominance, and is absolutely not a quick
personality profile.

Hope that helps..and for the fans of optical illusions try this...

www.eyetricks.com/illusions.htm

And finally as a true definition of hoax see here.

http://www.easypeasy.com/guides/article.php?article=198

"Doctors have (allegedly) concluded that if you find the man in the
coffee beans in 3 seconds, your right half of your brain is better
developed than most people. If you find the man between 3 seconds and 1
minute, your right half of the brain is developed normally. If you find
the man between 1 minute and 3 minutes, then the right half of your
brain is functioning slowly and you need to eat more protein. If you
have not found the man after 3 minutes, the advice is to look for more
of this type of exercise to make that part of the brain stronger!!!"

What are they smoking?????

You know your brain has developed normally when you don't believe all
you read and hear!

Oh take a look at the picture I have attached to this email. Look at the
word teach and see what the word is that is in the
reflection...interesting huh!

And that is my last word! - I promise.

I love how this sparked so much conversation.
Cheri Lloyd
Art Teacher/ Beginning Teacher Mentor
3435 Don Pedro Road
Ceres, CA 95307