Re: [teacherartexchange] Left/Right Brain Animation :-)

---------

From: Sharon (sharon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 20:02:22 PDT

One friend downloaded the image and picked it apart and found the following:
"At one point in the animation there is a frame where you can't really tell
which way the figure is facing. That's the point where she turns the
opposite direction if you see the change."

That said, it's not a "trick" animation and while it may or may not have
anything to do with hemispheric dominance, it does have a lot to do with
individual perception.

At one point last night I watched it for 2 minutes and it continued to go
clockwise with no change. Similarly, some students saw no change while they
were watching it. BUT there were times when one kid saw it going one way
and another saw it going the other, watching it together on the same
computer screen (I think that's the real "proof" of its perception-based
nature!) They both commented on the change of direction at the same time,
but then argued about which direction it was moving--again!

I've gotten the "switch" down to 2 rotations or less, and I was able to do a
2 minute counter clockwise without change. It's still easier for me to see
it moving in a clockwise direction, though.

Sharon
www.art-rageous.net