[teacherartexchange] recycling clay

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 04:15:49 PDT

I am hopping in a little late on this discussion. I earned a C/D in
ceramics in college.
It was a long time coming round to clay in our program. However EVERY THING
all ready mentioned is so true.
Adding to it:
I have lots of spray bottles. At the high school level I have finally
gotten them to stop spraying each others bottoms and crotches ( imagine why
they do this). Instead we do really wet clean up. A heavy spray of water
followed by wet paper towel wipe up. The idea is to prevent clay dust from
happening. We have a bucket in each sink as a prewash for hands bucket. I
have four bowls with bar soap in them that the kids are invited to rub
their fingernails ( sideways) into before starting. It prevent the clay
getting under nail
I and speeds wash up.
I yard sale for rolling pins. I pick up the plastic table mattes after a
holiday is over for 75 percent off. I have a spatula for kids that don't
"get" why you have the place mat under your piece.
I bought tongs finally for dipping and 1.5 empty plastic buckets. We have
switched to dipping this year. Amazing and so must easier. You have to buy
by the gallon. So I have fewer colors.
Randy in Maine. PS ( It is spring break and I am going in every day to fire
the kiln, lol, seems we over did the clay units. We got so productive that
I am behind 5 loads ) We also do empty bowls. Google it for information R