RE: [teacherartexchange] clay

---------

From: familyerickson (familyerickson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2008 - 16:01:06 PDT

Gayle,
I am sure Marvin has some recycling ideas on his website but here is what I
do. I dumped all the cracked vases into 2 large dishpans, filled them with
water just enough to cover and let them sit out until they made mush(about 3
days). After school I grab handfuls of it and plop it onto a big sheet of
thick vinyl that I lay on the floor. I bought the vinyl at a garage sale
but you could also use canvas or even a thick vinyl tablecloth. It looks
like a cow has come into my room and left many souveneirs. Then I put the
vinyl in front of my box fan that I have in my room because it is always so
hot. I babysit each lump until it is dry enough to wedge but not too dry.
I then wedge each lump and put them back into a big double thick plastic
bag. Voila! Ready to go again! It's a lot of work but necessary
sometimes. And after all that plopping and wedging you don't have to go to
the gym that day! So, I guess I do it pretty much like your college
teacher but I keep it compact into the dishpans until I'm ready to deal with
it and then do it all in one afternoon so that I don't have to use a table
or space I don't have. If you are particularly busy you can keep adding
water to the dishpans as it evaporates until you have a day you can deal
with it.
Cindy

PS This is only for firing clay --air dry clay does not recycle ----at
least I don't know how to recycle it - does anyone else??