Re: [teacherartexchange] Clay questions

---------

From: Gayle Parent (gayleparent_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2008 - 09:59:12 PDT

I am from Phoenix, and was fortunate enough to attend a Crizmac class
(check out www.Crizmac.com) in Santa Fe a few years ago. We enjoyed
a half day lesson by a Native American mother and son who are well
known potters. Sorry, don't have their names handy. They taught us
how to burnish the clay until it shines as if glazed. It was
amazing. We used smooth river rocks to rub and rub and rub the clay
after it was leather hard. Mine turned out okay, and a little shiny,
but their pieces absolutely looked as if they had been glazed, but
they had not. It would take a very dedicated student to accomplish
that, but they might like to know about it. Seeing that demo helped
me understand why some of the native pottery is so expensive. They
get results that look like they used a wheel and glaze, but it's all
done by hand, and without glaze. It's truly amazing.
Gayle