Re: [teacherartexchange] Clay questions

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2008 - 09:03:57 PDT

Heidi,

I have mixed red clay with white clay. I just kneed
one into the other or I layer slabs together and roll
them up then cut them and then roll them out again
flat and you get a unique pattern.

As far as burnishing I have students use smooth stones
or spoons, The burnishing makes the unfired clay look
like leather. You need to do it before it gets bone
dry it should be done at the leather hard stage. If
you do it for a whole pot it is very much like the
pottery process used by southwest native american
potters. The glaze on a burnished surface looks a bit
different then on a unburnished piece. I make a
sample piece for students to evaluate if they want to
do it or not.

Jeff (Minnesota)