Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on getty.edu! GettyGames

RE: [teacherartexchange] Crayola Air dry clay and model magic trick

---------

From: Beverly Haagen (bhaagen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2008 - 08:11:56 PDT


Thanks so much for the Elmer's tip. I just finished a wildflower unit with
88 4th graders and many of their leaves, petals etc. fell off when they
dried. We glued them back with Elmer's, but next year we will use the
Elmer's as slip!
Also I used air dry clay (not sure of the brand as I inherited it) I did
have a number of pieces fall about (E6000 to the rescue!) To paint them I
used acrylics and mixed in a pearlized medium. They look like them have been
fired and glazed!
From: Cathy Gaul [mailto:allgaul@comcast.net]
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2008 9:02 AM
To: TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group
Subject: [teacherartexchange] Crayola Air dry clay and model magic trick

I just made small owl figures (@3-4" tall and wide) with Crayola air dry
clay with 4th graders-60 students-and I liked how it worked very much. We
didn't attach any pieces, so I am not able to say how that went. We wedged
it like real clay to get the air bubbles out of it. It had sat unopened for
over a year and was very dried out, so I put water in the plastic bags the
clay was packaged in, let it sit overnight and it was much better after a
few days, in fact, the bottom where it sat in water was too wet. Wedging on
some cardboard took the excess moisture away nicely if messily, but the kids

loved that part anyway. The owls were just rectangular blocks of clay after
wedging-some made taller, some made more triangular shaped solid forms. Then

they used their thumbs to hollow out the middle somewhat to allow it to dry
easier, formed the eye sockets with the back of a plastic knife from
IKEA-perfect for making concave depressions, pinched out the ears and used
the knife to depress the area around the beak and where wings would be. They

air dried for a few days on the window sill, and after the first day I laid
them on their sides so the air could get to the hollowed out center-They
used watercolor to paint them-not too wet, because the clay gets a little
slimy again if you use too much water-and when they were dry we used tempera

varnish to finish. I swear they look just like real clay and glaze. I was
very happy. Haven't tried other air dry clays since way back when-70's and
80's. Amaco wasn't so great then. Glad to hear someone likes it now. I might

order some for next year and do clay with more classes since these owls were

successful-but I will try the Crayola again making some coil pots or
something with pieces attached with slip.

For the model magic, I have found that using Elmers as slip really works.
When it dries the stuff stays put. I made coil pots with 5th graders with
and without it. Without it every pot had coils separate and needed glue
surgery to get them back together-what a mess!

Cathy

---
To unsubscribe go to 
http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html
---
To unsubscribe go to 
http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html