Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: April 14, 2008

---------

From: Munira bootwala (bootwalamun_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2008 - 05:48:16 PDT

Hi Peggy,
Your units on Racism sound very interesting and I
think it should be a part of every school curriculum.
I teach elementary school kids but have been wanting
to do a social justice curriculum. Your unit is
probably too advanced for them but would it be
possible for you to send me some more details about
your lessons so I get a better point of reference.

Thanks,

Munira

--- TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group digest

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/powers_of_persuasion/powers_of_persuasion_home.html

hthttp://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_packup_042008

> [...]
> Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 17:40:11 -0700
>
> A super analysis of the Goya painting is at
> my Art Teacher on the Net
> http://www.artmuseums.com/currentevents.htm
> Shows how to analyze art using this painting.
>

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Dana Paternoster
> <thenatureofart@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > After reading these last posts, I am not even sure
> I want to try the unit I have been planning, but I
> think the students I have been working with will not
> go too far. Anyway, I have been working on and off
> for months on a war and art unit. I would like the
> students to study contemporary artists that are
> making artwork commenting on war. Does anyone have
> any suggestions on artist and links? I have found
> LOTS of info on WWI and WWII propoganda, and I know
> about Kollwitz, Goya, Guernica, and have had a lot
> of luck finding 9/11 artwork etc.. but I would like
> to include something about what is going on now in
> Iraq and Afghanistan.
> >
> > Does anyone have an artist/link or two that they
> would like to share?
> >
> > I have a couple that I am thrilled with that I
> have included.
> >
> > Thanks so much in advance.
> >
> > Dana
> > Seaford, Delaware
> >
> > http://www.graphicwitness.org/ineye/index2.htm
> > http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/powers_of_persuasion/powers_of_persuasion_home.html

> Subject: Re: Art and War
> From: Peggy Woolsey <eoolspeg@nbnet.nb.ca>
> Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 21:49:09 -0300
>
> Hi Dana,
> Wow this is amazing. I just finished a unit on
> racism and war, racism
> and the economy and racism and the environment, all
> arts based. I
> felt I had to do it since the kids in intro art
> classes throw hurtful
> words around, and my classes are getting more
> multicultural all the
> time. I used all of the sources you listed and
> didn't have time to
> get into Sue Coe, but she has some great stuff and I
> will apply her
> artwork the next time I do this. Good luck on your
> unit--if it is
> anything like mine was, it pushed me into places
> that stretched my
> thinking wide open. I really do think the students
> appreciated the
> experience and the intention and the honest effort
> to address big
> issues.
> Peggy
> On 14-Apr-08, at 9:09 PM, Dana Paternoster wrote:
> >

> > After reading these last posts, I am not even sure
> I want to try
> > the unit I have been planning, but I think the
> students I have been
> > working with will not go too far. Anyway, I have
> been working on
> > and off for months on a war and art unit. I would
> like the
> > students to study contemporary artists that are
=== message truncated ===