Re: [teacherartexchange] painting on vinyl banner

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 18:51:24 PDT

Found this:

Yes, you can in fact paint on vinyl. But if  and only
if  you get the right type of paint intended for
vinyl fabric. Otherwise standard paint will simply
flake, peel, and cause a complete mess

Specifically what you need to look for is a Leather
&Vinyl dye or paint. These types of products penetrate
the surface of leather, vinyl, or similar surfaces to
form a molecular bond that restores or changes the
color permanently. Most of them dry very quickly
within 30 minutes or less, and are said not to crack,
flake or become stiff to the touch.

There are a few companies out there that carry such a
product, including:

Rustoleum (view site)  you can usually find their
products at large home improvement retailers, however,
the color selection for this particular product is
limited.

Colorbond (view site)  you can purchase online, and
they have a good selection of colors.

Parasol Inc. (view site)  you can purchase online,
good selection of color. They carry both Vinyl paint
and Vinyl dye.

No matter what product you use, be sure to first
thoroughly clean the surface of your vinyl banner with
an Acetone or similar solution. You want to make sure
it is free from all dust, residue, and grime. Once
dry, simply follow the manufacturers directions, which
is usually as simple as spraying or painting on the
color and letting it dry!

Lastly: make sure you do this project outdoors or in a
very well ventilated location. Always wear protective
eye wear and a mask (which you can purchase from any
hardware store)  these are not chemicals you want to
be breathing in!

Jeff (Minnesota)