[teacherartexchange] National Day of Puppetry

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2008 - 07:57:57 PDT

Hi all

  Just a quick note that on April 26th it is National Day of Puppetry. Local puppet guilds will be having shows in your areas as well as teaching workshops. As you all probably know I teach puppetry in a high school (one of the few in the US). My puppet club will be going to a college to work with their drama students in a workshop setting the Saturday before, and on NDOP I, along with the guild I am in will be working with 4 H students in our area doing workshops and shows. I don't know how many of you include puppetry in your art classes ( I also teach art and have included a puppet unit for over 30 years), but it is a way for students to combine building (crafts), writing (scripts) and performance. Also, puppetry breaks down barriers, is the great equalizer, continues the oral tradition of stories, and is just plain goofy. Students learn about performance (movement, voice, eye contact,lights, sets, costumes, etc) on a smaller scale, and in a way that is totally anonymous (you are behind the puppet, it is
 the puppet speaking kind of thing).

  Well, back to making shadow puppets for my upcoming performance of "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly"....

  San D