Re: [teacherartexchange] Erasing/prohibiting student art long post

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2008 - 05:34:52 PDT

That is an interesting point, Donna, and one that I think that we, as
teachers of creative expression deal with every day. (In fact, I was
having this exact discussion with the Creative Writing teacher after a
student wrote a really shocking short story, and had no clue why it
wouldn't be school-appropriate.) How do we encourage expression in
an era where anything goes in the media, and still do it in a way that
encourages restraint and moral judgement? It's a tricky tightrope to
walk. If we are too strict, we deny students their opportunity to
express what's important to them (which in and of itself is an
exercise in judgement, and a great opportunity to teach about that.)
If we are too liberal, not only can we get ourselves in trouble but we
miss those opportunities to engage students in selective thought.

I've found that when a student is hellbent on expressing something
that I find inappropriate in class, that's a really good opportunity
to talk about symbolism and abstraction. Instead of making it
censorship, I try to help them find another way to express it than
realism. If they want to express violent anger, for instance, we talk
about symbols for that. What colors show violence? What types of
strokes? What can be shown other than the obvious (because, really,
if it's that obvious, chances are that it's been done before and will
look really amateurish and cheap.)

Usually, the students respond really well and I am able to satisfy
both my students' need to express things that they feel very strongly
about right now, and my need to keep from getting in trouble, with the
added bonus of teaching them to dig a little deeper and create art
that goes beyond shock value and causes people to think and feel
something about the subject matter. They get out of the situation
feeling like they're getting away with something by not having to
change the subject matter, and the end result is usually something
mind-blowingly thought-provoking... minus the cheap shock value.
Everyone wins!

Becky
Charleston WV

--