Re: [teacherartexchange] Erasing/prohibiting student art long post

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2008 - 07:28:08 PDT

I don't ban anything. You heard me! I don't. I do have a rule that
anything that is to be exhibited, worn, or otherwise shown publicly
must be school-appropriate material and that means it has to be
something that, if worn on a T-shirt on dress-down-days (we have
uniforms), wouldn't get them sent to put on uniforms. Other than
that, they are welcome to create art based on anything they like, at
any time.

Here's the catch -- I won't grade anything that is not
school-appropriate (see above.) So they can make anything they want,
but I can only put my stamp of approval on art that is considered
"school appropriate." Anything that is not in this list is fine, and
I will look at it and offer suggestions and help them with the
projects... I just can't make it a classroom project.

You'd be surprised... most kids don't really "push the limits" when I
put it this way. I think that knowing that they have artistic freedom
but that I am limited in grading by what I can put the school's "stamp
of approval" on as a school official, so far they've been pretty
respectful. I've had a few try to sneak pot leaves into palm trees
and whatnot, but I usually just laugh and say, "you're kidding,
right?" and they quickly edit it and everybody gets a good laugh.
There have also been a few really cool "social commentary" pieces done
by advanced art students outside of class that might be controversial
if exhibited at school (but man, they were NEAT, thought-provoking
pieces! I was impressed!) Those were usually included in AP Art
portfolios and exhibits that students were able to enter on their own.

The more I try to make some subjects forbidden, the more they tend to
dwell on those subjects whenever possible. If it's not a big deal and
they have that "safety net" of being able to do those projects outside
of school, it's really never an issue in class. I might have to
tighten up if someone ever really tries to test me, but in 4 years of
teaching here, I've never had that problem. Thank God -- if it did
get so bad that I really had to ban everything offensive, we would be
left with Thomas Kincaide art. :)

Becky
Charleston Catholic High School
Charleston WV