Re: [teacherartexchange] Integration Workshops

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhite139_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2008 - 17:17:19 PDT

Karen,

Allow me to add to Jeff's great suggestions. I've been collecting advocacy articles for a long time. The first two "ART IS" paragraphs came from a posting via Judy Decker, credited to Tina Farrell:
ART IS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE
Many of the terms commonly used in art originate from a variety of
languages like: Italian, German, Latin, and French. Words such as:
applique, Bas Relief, tromp-l'oeil, chiaroscuro, monochrome, gouache, and
sgraffito. Vocabulary in art is a blend of many cultures and therefore
becomes its own unique language.
Artists speak a foreign language.

ART IS LANGUAGE ARTS
Art is a higher form of communication. As artists translate the world
around them, stories of bravery, heroism, valor, sorrow, and hope emerge
into narratives of imagery, characters, and settings. Artists research,
brainstorm, rough draft, create preliminary drawings, keep journals, date
title, and sign their works, and create works based upon a theme or
series. Artists have made images inspired by poems, music, stories, and
events.
Artists are communicators.

I'm certified in art, reading, and ESL. In Oz, you have plenty of English learners in your classes. Here's something I wrote on art and ESL. You can change "ESL" to "literacy learners" or something that suits your case.

Art is a natural for ESL students. By creating visual and mental images
to go along with all the new vocabulary they're learning, they will
learn and retain it better. Think about any lesson you would teach them
and all the new words they would be learning: colors, line direction,
shapes, orientation on the page; all sorts of common tools (scissors,
pencil, etc.); processes (cut, draw, paint, glue, etc.); following
directions in sequence; composing stories--even simple descriptive
sentences--about their work; discussing a work of art (use a format like
Broudy's Aesthetic Scanning or Feldman's four steps--both start with
describing what is there, which even beginning learners can do).

Creating a bound book to use as a notebook would be fun. Otherwise, I
don't think you'd have to "invent" any lessons just for them, other than
adjusting the vocab and instructions to their level.

My master's thesis dealt with vocabulary development in art education
(combining my love of art and reading). In my research, I discovered
that art has the third-highest distinct vocabulary of any subject, after
math and science. I think Jeff's suggestion to walk them through a
non-threatening, non-studio activity with a reproduction is excellent.

Best of luck to you.

Maggie