Re: [teacherartexchange] Integration Workshops

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2008 - 15:28:35 PDT

Karen,

Walk your workshop participants through a hands on
experience of the connection of the arts and literacy.
 Take the arts: Visual, Music, for example. Take
works of Art and have teachers write about what they
think happened before and after the scene they are
looking at. Have teachers listen to music and create
a poem based on the melody, rhythm of the music.
Explain to teachers even if younger students struggle
to read /write they could talk about their thoughts,
teachers could video tape the discussion to use as
evidence. Explain that art is a tool, device that can
be used to enlist a response, promote new thinking and
connect literacy to "real" things.

Allow teachers in the workshop to brainstorm,
cooperatively work together. Play on the teachers
learning styles.

Jeff (Minnesota)