[teacherartexchange] Gego (Gertrud Goldschmidt) -Drawing off the page - Exhibit

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 14:38:32 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I know this artist may inspired some students....

Gertrud Goldschmidt - known as Gego.

Art Review in New York Times.
Off the Page and in the Air, Drawing Transformed
By HOLLAND COTTER
Published: April 27, 2007
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/27/arts/design/27gego.html?ref=design

"The artist named Gego, who is the subject of a small,
out-of-this-world survey at the Drawing Center in SoHo, was born
Gertrud Goldschmidt in Hamburg, Germany, in 1912. The daughter of a
Jewish banker, she studied for a career in architecture and
engineering. But in 1939, as the political heat began to build, she
left for Venezuela. Apart from short visits to Europe and elsewhere,
she stayed there until her death in 1994."

 "And there was this other fabulous thing: a semigeometric,
see-through, two-and-three dimensional piece made of twisted and
knotted wires, suspended in space. It was as if spiders had rigged
electrical circuitry and produced a crown of nodes and thorns. Most
people would call it sculpture. She called it 'drawing without paper,'
and was adamant about the distinction. She wrote in a notebook:
'Sculpture: three-dimensional forms of solid material. NEVER what I
do!'"

More on Gego:
http://www.moma.org/collection/browse_results.php?criteria=O%3AAD%3AE%3A2107&page_number=1&template_id=6&sort_order=1
or http://tinyurl.com/2lz4vx