[teacherartexchange] kiln vent follow-up

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 08:44:43 PDT

>Thanks to everyone who offered advice on the kiln buying, etc. It was
>very informing!!
>
>I would like to pose another question about the kiln buying. A lot of
>you explained the vent system or Enviro-vent. My classroom is already
>set up for a kiln. It has a fan type thing in the wall (outside wall)
>and some extra electrical wall mounts. I'm assuming this is all the
>venting I will need....but I need your advice on this too. I'm not sure
>if the Enviro-vent is necessary if we already have this vent or fan in
>the wall.
>
>Thanks again,
>Michelle

If the kiln will be in its own room (not in the classroom) a wall vent fan to the outside may be adequate if the door can be kept closed. If the kiln is in the same room where you teach, get the vent system that is attached to bottom of the kiln. Unfortunately, both of these things make noise in the classroom. You can fire between 3 pm and 8 am when nobody has to hear the noise. Computer controls on the kiln should make this quite feasible. If you fire only at night, the wall vent may be able to clear the air before school starts in the morning.

For those who fire at night, I recommend checking it first thing in the morning to be sure it went off. This rules out Friday night unless you or somebody is able to check it on Saturday morning. Sooner or later nearly every automatic kiln control fails. You do not wan the kiln to keep getting hotter for days. I have had cone sitters and timers fail, but have not fired with computer controls often enough for it to happen yet.

Marvin