Re: [teacherartexchange] new string: monoculturalism in the art classroom

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2007 - 17:27:43 PDT

>I am writing a short paper on the benefits of teaching personal
>cultural lessons BEFORE teaching world cultures/multiculturalism in
>the art classroom.
>
>I am looking for papers, opinions, links, ideas, articles and
>publications relating to the idea that we should try to get kids to
>understand THEIR roots before we expose them to someone else's roots.
>
>You teach about the squirrels outside the window before teaching about
>penguins, right? Unless you teach in Argentina.
>
>Thank you for your advice and continuing this string.
>
>Aaron Schnittman

Aaron,

I wholeheartedly agree with your premise.

I suggest:
Creatively Teaching Multicultural Art
http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/multiculturalart.html

I will also email you a copy of a draft of an unpublished manuscript, Revolutionizing Art and Social Studies Integration. I am preparing it for a social studies education journal. It gives the rationale and examples where art and social studies are integrated by consulting the art teacher first and doing artwork first rather than using artwork to review the social studies as it is generally done.

Marvin

studio phone: 574-533-0171??
http://www.bartelart.com
"Art is me when I am myself." ... a kindergarten girl when asked, "What is art?"