Re: [teacherartexchange] La Grande Jatte

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2007 - 16:05:03 PDT

So much of what I love about art history is the "story" behind the
image. Most often my history presentations may have nothing to do
with the projects at hand, but the lesson is the the artist intention
and observation and how can the student make such observations and
create the symbols and make the metaphors and puns and start to
learn how to create some "fascination" beyond the technique. La
Grande Jatte may first get our attention because of all the little
dots and the skill, but it lasts because it goes beyond that and into
the stories.
Sometimes, I think it's a grave disservice to the artist to only deal
with the skills and techniques. If you look at the paragraph below
that Judy found-- it's so easy to see how much we connect to literacy
and language and the skills they need for THE TESTS. And, if we
teach them how to make these same kinds of observations, and do the
research and investigations, then.....
we give them skills for life.

There is one song in "Sunday in the Park with George" that is
must --- "Art isn't Easy"
The show is about struggle and persistence and perseverance and
doubts and misgivings and commitments.... and lots of other things

Art isn't easy
Patty