Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] La Grande Jatte

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2007 - 08:38:58 PDT

Hello again....

Just out of curiousity, I entered Critque La Grande Jatte in Google.....

The reclining gentleman is a rower/boatman.
>> The distancing quality of Seurat's novel technique made it a fine
vehicle for his dry wit, evident in the occasional visual pun—note the
wafts of cigar smoke that morph into a white dog—as well as in
remarkable gallery of contemporary social types, from the brooding
rower reclining at the lower left to the gawky standing man playing a
French horn in the middle distance. But the pervasive self-absorption
of the figures seems at odds with the integrative harmonies of the
composition as a whole. The painting is rich in such enigmatic
tensions, which are perhaps the secret of its enduring fascination.

>> a sprawled-out boatman smoking his pipe

>>a canotier, or rower (sleeveless shirt and sport hat,
from an article that is not online.....

On 4/25/07, Judy Decker wrote:
> Greetings Chris and all,
> The explanation here will be helpful:
> There is a "cast of characters"......
> They forgot to include the monkey in the list......
> View close up detail here:
> Regards,
> Judy Decker

To unsubscribe go to