re:[teacherartexchange] La Grande Jatte ?

---------

From: chris massingill (chris_massingill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2007 - 18:52:02 PDT

Okay, this might be a silly question, but i still have
to ask it.

I have a pointilism project that I do with my students
and although I promise I was wide awake in Art History
class (my professor was USA Today's professor of the
year a few years back - no kidding - she was
fantastic!) but my students have asked me a question
that I can't answer.

They want to know about the fellow in the foreground
who is lounging on the grass smoking a pipe AND why
his dress is so casual compared to the others in the
park with their top hats and bustle dresses and
parasols. (to my 5th graders it seems like he is in
contemporary dress compared to everyone else - and so
he really sticks out to them) Can anyone enlighten me
as to why this character seems so out of place
compared to the other inhabitants of this painting?

Thanks in advance!!!

Chris in Central Arkansas