Re: Re:[teacherartexchange] frusterated students who destroyed their artwork

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2007 - 16:50:48 PDT

Personally, I would let them learn a hard lesson by giving them an
appropriate grade. If you taught math and a student turned in a scribbled up
asssignment would you accept it? I had a student who took a nice drawing and
scribbled on it, then tried to turn it in. I asked him if that was really
what he wanted me to grade. When he showed a willingness to fix his project
I suggested that he take those scribbles, thicken their lines, and try to
make the artwork look as though those scribbles had been an intentional,
well thought out creation. The artwork ended up very acceptable - while not
as high of a grade if he hadn't destroyed the original work, at least a
reasonable attempt to turn in a project that he had spent a considerable
amount of time on. Yes, these two students of yours threw temper tantrums,
but unless they have an IEP or a 504 then they should be held to a high
standard OR you can expect other students to lower their own expectations of
what quality work is. I know there are plenty of reasons why you could or
should give the little darlins a chance or at least try to figure out the
reason for their trashing their projects, but I have spent the past two days
arguing with students and parents alike why a 10 minute thrown together
project is never going to receive an A in my class when the students dinked
around for the 2 weeks they had to work on it. These are students who have
decided they want to opt out of finals and think they can raise all their
grades to the minimum "B" to get out of school 2 days early. Frustrating!
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

Don't argue with stupid people.