[teacherartexchange] Clean-Up Collage - Group participation

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2007 - 07:29:03 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

A while back, Laurie posted to TAB list that she has a "Clean-up
Collage" - This is contact paper mounted to the wall with the sticky
side out. I asked for permission to share this idea with you. I now
have an artist to use as inspiration.
See - William Christenberry, Alabama Wall I
metal and tempera on wood
http://eyelevel.si.edu/

Larger image of Alabama Wall I can be found on the site.
http://americanart.si.edu/search/search_artworks1.cfm?StartRow=1&ConID=872&format=short

Yours would be " _______ Art Room Wall". You can critique the
completed collage and tell what it says about your "place" - and
"culture".

I did a search for William Christenberry, He would be a good artist to
introduce when you teach Beverly Buchanan. She makes sculpture models
of the shacks she paints.... While Christenberry makes sculpture
models of the structures he photographs.... Both showing a sense of
place/culture.

Judy Decker

From Laurie:

.... "clean-up collage" in my room. This is the contac paper with the
sticky side out.
We also have a "clean-up canvas." This is how I use old, partially
done canvasses I found in the closet when I first came to my school.
Now, whenever students have paint on their palettes that is mixed or
combined with gel medium, paste or whatever and cannot be scooped back
into its jar, they apply it to the clean-up canvas. We also have
impressed scraps of collage materials from the floor or tables into
the paint. At some point, I decide when the canvas is 'completed.'
Then, I have the middle schoolers critique it with exploratory
questions (what might it be like to 'dive' into it; wrap yourself in
it; hear it make sounds; etc.) They take this critique more seriously
than any others. Perhaps because they have no fear of offending
someone or of being incorrect.

Laurie