RE: [teacherartexchange] Kiln Buying Guide

---------

Laura.Drietz_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Apr 24 2007 - 06:53:06 PDT

I had a Skutt kiln at my last school, a 1027-3 with the computerized
controller. I loved it! Also buy some industrial metal shelving to store
supplies on, kiln shelves and other hardware, a heavy-duty garbage can
for clay recycling. (You can buy specialized ones, but the heavy ones
you can buy at building centers work just as well, and you can get
rolling bases for them much cheaper then the special industrial ones or
ones for clay) Size wise, the bigger the better. You can always fire a
load not quite full, but you can't cram more into a kiln that is too
small!

My current school has a Paragon kiln, just a couple of years older then
the Skutt at my old school. The Skutt still looked like new when I left.
The Paragon is looking pretty beat up, and I fine it much less
user-friendly. I also had the Eniro-vent system, and never did have a
smell from firing the kiln. I had an interior storage room the kiln was
in, but they were able to vent it through the roof.

Oh, most come with it now, but you also want a lid-lifter. That's the
only issue I had with the Skutt kiln, the lid was hard to lift, and
occasionally would hit the wall, which I'm afraid would eventually crack
it.

Good luck! Clay is so fun to work with and teach!

Laura Drietz
Art Teacher
Brookings Middle School
E-mail laura.drietz@k12.sd.us

I really like Skutt kilns. I would order from a company near you (as
shipping can be high).
http://www.skutt.com/index_dir.html
http://www.skutt.com/shop/suppliers.html

Take a look at Sax Kiln Buying Guide:
http://www.saxarts.com/resources/buyingGuides/kilns.jsp

Check with your school electrician before ordering...
"Most kilns are available in 208 or 240 volts. Kilns are available with
single or three-phase electricity. For example, if your building is