Re: [teacherartexchange] Kiln Buying Guide

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2007 - 06:37:00 PDT

Hi Michelle,

I really like Skutt kilns. I would order from a company near you (as
shipping can be high).
http://www.skutt.com/index_dir.html
http://www.skutt.com/shop/suppliers.html

Take a look at Sax Kiln Buying Guide:
http://www.saxarts.com/resources/buyingGuides/kilns.jsp

Check with your school electrician before ordering...
"Most kilns are available in 208 or 240 volts. Kilns are available
with single or three-phase electricity. For example, if your building
is powered by 208 volts and single-phase electricity your kiln should
have the same power specifications."

Make sure your kiln can be vented to the OUTSIDE. Since this will be
added to an existing room, I recommend the Enviro-vent (mounted under
the kiln). If there is no way to get to an outside wall, then find a
room in the building where you can. In the elementary buildings where
I taught, the kiln was in the janitors' room.

Regards,

Judy Decker