Re:[teacherartexchange] paper mache balloons

---------

From: Donna Pumphrey (dpumphrey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2007 - 08:11:49 PDT

Subject: Re: paper mache balloons

Hey there,

I took a Dia De Los Muertos-Day of the Dead-workshop this past fall. We
made paper mache sculptures using the Mexican method of Paper Mache.
They use brown paper. Brown paper bags, brown paper-classroom
towels-work great. It is important that you tear the paper, that there
are not cut edges as torn edges lie flatter. Then put them in the paste
and rub the pieces together with your hands, until they become leather
like. If you are using paper bags, make sure to put the printed side
downward, as sometimes paint shows through. I only had to use two
layers on my sculpture to make it hard. I am using this process with
balloons for the sculpture project that Judy posted from zart. So far so
good. The fifth graders, most of them, got one layer done today. I like
this much better than newspaper as the ink doesn't come off in the
paste, on your hands, or on the sculpture, and it is so much harder than
newspaper when dry.

--Donna

Donna Pumphrey
Third Creek Elementary
Art
+ I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say
any other way--things I had no words for.-Georgia O'Keefe