Re: [teacherartexchange] watercolors - dry pan vs. semi-moist

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2007 - 18:07:43 PDT

Chris,

Yes watercolors can be expensive. I know high schools that use tube
paints.
Of course they had sizable budgets or the students paid for the paint.
I'm not familiar with what you call "dry paint". I taught middle school,
6 to 8, for many years and always used semi-moist pans. I prefer the
prang
16 color double pans with oval colors. The ovals don't waste all the
paint
in the corners like the square pans do. I ordered tons of refills to
replace
colors as they needed replacement. I kept track of how often each
color was
replaced so I could order about the right amount next year. Like most
art
teachers I took out the brown, black and white and added others in their
place. If I remember correctly refills ran about 42 cents each back
then.
It can take a real bite out of a budget.

I did train my classes to leave the lids open, carry and store the
trays flat
and never to wash out the pans at the sink. I hated to see the money
go down
the drain. I realize my rambling is not of much help. I might suggest
switching
mediums more often so you don't use as much watercolor. All budding
artists need
diversity - drawing, printmaking, sculpture, etc might take pressure
off the
watercolor supplies. Unfortunately we often make curriculum decisions
around
what we can afford.

Best of luck. I hope others have more ideas for you, Woody

On Apr 22, 2007, at 6:22 PM, chris massingill wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm still new to ordering supplies for hundreds of
> students and I have a question about watercolors -
> I've been ordering Prang semi-moist watercolors
> because that's what I've seen used in other classes
> (and it's what my warehouse stocks) but my kids are
> going through this paint so fast it boggles the mind.
> (I see about 200 kids a day and I have them share one
> or two palletes per table - so I have 2-4 kids to a
> pallette x 6 class periods and by 6th period I'm
> running out of blue) I've explained to them how to
> use a lot of water and a little bit of paint and most
> are following the rules - but I still can't seem to
> keep enough paint for them -

Woody Duncan woodyduncan@comcast.net

Invitation to my exhibitions
http://www.taospaint.com/Painted/Horse.html