[teacherartexchange] watercolors - dry pan vs. semi-moist

---------

From: chris massingill (chris_massingill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2007 - 17:22:15 PDT

Hello All,

I'm still new to ordering supplies for hundreds of
students and I have a question about watercolors -
I've been ordering Prang semi-moist watercolors
because that's what I've seen used in other classes
(and it's what my warehouse stocks) but my kids are
going through this paint so fast it boggles the mind.
(I see about 200 kids a day and I have them share one
or two palletes per table - so I have 2-4 kids to a
pallette x 6 class periods and by 6th period I'm
running out of blue) I've explained to them how to
use a lot of water and a little bit of paint and most
are following the rules - but I still can't seem to
keep enough paint for them - I don't know if I'm
expecting too much from the paint or if it's the fact
that we use semi-moist paint that is easily swiped
onto a brush that is causing our paint shortage.

I perrsonally have a set of Loew-Cornell dry pan
watercolors that I bought several years ago this is
mostly still intact - with only the bottoms of a few
pans showing but I can't seem to find dry watercolors
for student use and the paints and I can see why some
might not want to use these with elementray - the
paints are very hard and dry and sometimes crack, but
the colors are brilliant and I've gotten quite a bit
of use out of this one palette.

So, after all that, here's my question - is it better
to invest in some more expensive dry pan watercolors
that will last or are the more-economical semi-moist
paints more worthwhile for student use (these would be
for 5th & 6th grade so i can expect slightly more self
control when it comes to paint compared to
kindergarteners - but not much :)

I would appreciate any suggestions for brands and or
preferences.

Thanks!

Chris in Central Arkansas