Re: [teacherartexchange] egyptian projects or landscape painting or suggestions...HELP

---------

From: Kathleen Pfeifer (kpfeifer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2007 - 13:15:18 PDT

Egyptian Projects:

Here are a suggestion to add to the list of ideas. This year I tried a new project for my sixth graders involving ancient Egypt. Students were asked to create an Ancient Egyptian Chariot License. Students looked at examples of modern driver's licenses. Looking at the different characteristics and what kinds of information are needed. Then students sketched out their ideas with "Egyptian Addresses" and DMV photo. Students used a digital camera to take a photo of themselves. These were printed out and then altered to make themselves look like they were from ancient Egypt. They altered the photos by drawing and using magic markers but this could also be done in photoshop if time allowed. They completed the driver's license with Egyptian symbols, gods and goddesses and different pieces of architecture in their drawing. The completed project was very nice. Kids had a ball with this project.

Another project from previous year's is scratchboard drawing of an Egyptian God or Goddess that student's research. The drawing is done on the gold scratchboard that are available now through the different arts catalogue. Students created a border design and the portrait of their god or goddess in the center. Really nice result with this project.

Kathy Pfeifer

>>> <Boots13@aol.com> 04/21/07 7:18 PM >>>
Does anyone have any interesting Egyptian Lesson Plans or interesting
landscape painting lessons for 6th Grade?
These are my two options for the next project. They just finished making
japanese kimonos using warm and cool colors, and I want them to make one more
painting project before they work on 3D.

I have an idea which I have seen another teacher do for HS but I really
think it is such a wonderful idea. I would like the students to make a relief
painting. They will each concentrate on one insect and draw it from a photo,
then on top of their drawing they will start to build the insect out of the
surface using cardboard pieces and top it with pieces of scratch Styrofoam so
they can add some texture into the surface. Then they will paint it
monochromatically.
I am a first year teacher, is this too difficult for 6th Grade to accomplish
if I break it down into simple building steps? Suggestions?

thanks
terri