Re: [teacherartexchange] Alternate Finishes for clay

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2007 - 13:02:10 PDT

Greetings,

I have played around with various web searches..... Alternate finishes
for clay.... room temperature glazes......cold temperature
glazes.....I found many ideas listed in clayart threads.

Here is one artist to look up. I have admired her work.
Marie E.v.B. Gibbons
http://www.mariegibbons.com/
http://www.evbstudio.com/

Here is her post on clayart:
http://www.potters.org/subject98245.htm

Here is a thread on "room temperature finishes":
http://www.potters.org/subject11967.htm

and here is one for "cold finishes"
http://www.potters.org/subject69662.htm

You will find many of our suggestions listed.

Another finish your middle school students might want to try is
Prismacolors on flat black paint (or other flat dark color). Here is
an artist who uses Prismacolors.
Peggy Bjerkan - Maskwoman
http://www.maskwoman.com/

Here is David Stabley's site (I recommended him in a previous post):
http://www.stableys.com/david/

Here is a book that includes alternate finishes.
Making Ceramic Sculpture: Techniques * Projects * Inspirations ( A
Lark Ceramics Book) (Hardcover)
by Raul Acero
http://www.amazon.com/Making-Ceramic-Sculpture-Techniques-Inspirations/dp/1579901751

Try a number of the finishes that have been posted on some test
pieces. Include an instruction sheet and let the kids choose what they
think will look best on their piece. I always had choices of finishes
for sculptural ceramic work.

Heather, I would like to put a page on Incredible Art Department with
alternate finishes for clay (since the topic comes up frequently).
Would you be willing to send some images of student work along with
what finish they used?

Regards,

Judy Decker