Re:[teacherartexchange] egyptian projects

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2007 - 04:55:27 PDT

Here are a couple of ideas you may want to try. I
just finished an Egyptian project with my 5th graders
that turned out very well--3d mummies. Depending on
how much time you have, this project can be modified
to suit you calendar.

The project starts with a simple wire armature of a
human figure, about 8 inches tall. The sculpture is
covered in aluminum foil to give it bulk, then
wrapped in strips of plaster gauze. Once wrapped and
before the gauze sets up, fold over the arms. The
effect is very much like a real mummy. To age the
mummy, dip it in a bucket of left over coffee from the
teachers lounge--it stains the sculpture just enough
to antique it.

If you have enough time, build a sarcophagus from
cardboard strips and tape in the shape of a coffin,
then paper mache or plaster gauze it. Make a matching
lid and build up the surface with a face in relief.
Do a little research and mix some Egyptian colors from
acrylic paint and paint the coffins. Attach the lids,
and you have a home for your mummy.

The next project is a short term drawing project.
Locate a book on Egypt that contains a translation of
Egyptian hieroglyphics to their equivalent letter in
our alphabet. Have the kids make a drawing of their
own monument or statue on a pedestal and draw their
names in hieroglyphics. Color in the drawings and
perhaps draw a background of an Egyptian scene.

I can send photos off list for those who are interested.