Re:[teacherartexchange] Ceramic "Totems"

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 21 2007 - 05:08:00 PDT

Hello Kelda,

Here is an idea that has been posted several times......probably
before you became a member of the list.

Ceramic "pod" totems.... Students make closed forms putting a hole at
top and bottom to slide over a metal rod.

Here is an artist who makes Garden art - ceramic bead poles:
Alison Gooding
http://www.zeekgallery.com/dynamic/artist.asp?ArtistID=39

Patz Fowles (list member) got this idea from a school in Japan:
http://www.patzfowle.com/patzfowleexchangeofideas.html
Here is the link to the school in Japan - making texture pods:
http://www.asij.ac.jp/highschool/academic/art/jthomas/ceramics_texture_pods.htm

Your students could make "pods" that represent our culture - their
families - floral and fauna of the region..... I would not have them
copy the Northwest Coast images for this assignment.

If you try this idea, send an example to Incredible Art Department.

Regards,

Judy Decker