Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Backgrounds

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2007 - 11:35:10 PDT

Hi Terri,

See what Marvin Bartel wrotte about Backgrounds in March:

What if they did texture backgrounds (following the grid) in pen and ink?
See this Chuck close lesson plan:

What if they did patterns in values - white to black (see "Janet")

More Close lessons can be found on line....
some of these links are borken.
See Teacher's Packet:

Judy Decker

On 4/19/07, Terri wrote:
> Hi everyone, my 8th Graders and special ed have just studied Chuck close and
> they were doing the gridding system for their portraits. They are painting
> them using warm and cool as an underpainting in watercolor and now are using
> tempera to put a layer over it with tints and shades. I am stuck with what I
> want them to do for their backgrounds. Any original suggestions?
> I was thinking just to have them paint it black, to have the portraits stand
> out but it seems a little boring.

To unsubscribe go to