Re: [teacherartexchange] Backgrounds

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2007 - 11:25:34 PDT

Terri wrote:

>. . . I am stuck with what I?want them to do for their backgrounds. Any original suggestions? I was thinking just to have them paint it black, to have the portraits stand out but it seems a little boring.

Maybe it is not what I want, but what each students wants. Might they be able to look at various backgrounds using a mirror and stepping in front of various backgrounds? Could it be a way for them to practice generating their own ideas and choice making? If I tell them what to do, they become dependent on me. I like to push them to make a choice. If this is too challenging, I would give them the option to make two different background sheets with tones, colors, or patterns of their choice or invention (depending on what they think might be appropriate for the portrait). They then cut and place the portrait onto the these before deciding which one works better. They then select the one that they feel works the best of the two and hand in the other one just to show me how they solved the problem. It is similar to when a math teacher asks the students to show how they solved their problems. I might list some criteria and questions to answer as they figure out their back
 grounds, but I would not feel qualified to decide on somebody else's background.

Marvin

studio phone: 574-533-0171??
http://www.bartelart.com
"Art is me when I am myself." ... a kindergarten girl when asked, "What is art?"