Re: [teacherartexchange] Finishes for clay

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2007 - 11:12:47 PDT

Hi Heather,

The type of alternate finishes I provided depended on the project. The
aesthetics of the finished piece was important. Here are some....

1. Watercolors as a stain on fish sculptures - related colors looked
best. Finish with gloss medium. (similar to Peter's idea).

2, Brown and black acrylic on masks (slightly watered down and wiped
off) to give a wood-look patina. Finish with brown wax shoe polish.
This finish also looked good on textured vessels. The former teacher
at the high school used wood stains for a similar look (acrylics are
safer for kids to use). I did use some water base stains with success.

3. FLAT black paint - then colored with oil pastels or oil sticks. You
need to add white to your colors to make them show up best. I got this
idea from ceramic artist David Stabley. He use oil sticks and Amaco
Rub 'n Buff but the oil pastels are much cheaper.

4. Flat black and/or brown paint - then light dusting of metallic
(silver for aluminum look - gold for bronze look). Light accents of
Rub 'n Buff. Good for sculptural pieces

5. Solid color of paint (choice of brown and/or black) - then stone
fleck paint. Good for sculptural pieces.

6. India ink stain - washed off.... gave a stone look finish - Then
water color accents. This was used for Pre-Columbian inspired
sculptures.

7. For more skilled students.... layering of brown/black paint - the
layering of metallic paints (copper and/or gold) - then careful
highlights with Rub 'n Buff (copper and antique gold) - gives a very
nice bronze patina.

8. For advanced students - Copper topper - and Verdi-gris solution.
Gives and antique weathered look bronze patina. Copper paint comes in
one bottle and the acid solution in another..... Ruins brushes so use
old ones.... Wear rubber gloves.

Some of these finishes are on this lesson page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/8rel-less.htm

I have some Pre-Columbian works with some of these finishes - but
don't have them on line.
I will see if I can find the disk and will add them.

If you want a better look with acrylics - try painting FLAT black
first - then painting with the acrylics. Black will stay in the
lines/textures. Try rubbing the ones already painted with acrylic with
black wax shoe polish - rubbing it off of the raised areas and forcing
it into the textures...or other method of forcing black into the
textures (India ink..... black acrylic....rubbed off or raised areas).

Judy Decker