RE: [teacherartexchange] Finishes for clay

---------

From: JAMES PETERS (JPETERS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2007 - 09:01:42 PDT

Hi I have found that you can stain white earthenware with regular
Tempera. I do this by having the students completely paint the whole
project one color with the tempera then wash the paint off. It doesn't
matter when the student washes their project if the paint is wet or dry.
The earthenware is porous enough to absorb the colors. It will create
an antique effect of the color used. If your students want their
projects to be shiny simple have them clear coat it with spray paint. I
usually discourage my students from using multiple colors for this
technique but I did have one student who tried it with some success.

James D. Peters
3-D Art
Yeokum Middle School
Belton School Dist. C124