[teacherartexchange] P. Mache Balloon Sculpture

---------

From: Alice Zincone (Alice.Zincone_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2007 - 05:20:21 PDT

Sorry for the delayed response, but you may find this lesson I did
interesting. I work at North Carolina's state school for the visually
impaired, The Gov. Morehead School in Raleigh, NC. I wanted to do
something with a sound or noise to it. I was also working with multiply
impaired students.
We simply covered a balloon with paper mache strips and after it dried I
removed the balloon and we added bells, beans, rice, etc. We then
commenced to painting and adding texture - glue and sand, yarn dipped in
glue and wound around, glue and glitter, anything else I or the students
could think of.
[I insist on making art for all comers - sighted and vis. impaired -
color and texture. Visual impairments are very diverse - each person is
different with different levels of usable vision or light perception or
no perception at all. Some eye conditions change on a daily basis
wavering between perception and non-perception. We also talk about
color relating to feelings and experiences or objects such as grass,
ocean, sand, the warmth of the sun.]
Once they were dry, I attached a long piece of yarn to them and hung
them over the handrailing going up to our auditorium. The kids love
going by and running their hand across our installation and hear their
sculptures make noises.

Simple but effective as my first project here last fall.

Alice in NC