Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: April 18, 2007

---------

From: Lars Hasselblad Torres (lars_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2007 - 04:36:55 PDT

h deanna - great question! some ideas include:
- the way technology has enabled historians and archivists to more
accurately attribute works of art to the correct painter, thereby
correcting historical flaws. this often changes the interpretation of
the image and its context dramatically. related to this is how x-ray
help historians understand what lies beneath the surface of a canvass
- a contemporary example of a painting who's interpretation has
evolved over time might be da vinci's last supper - which has
recaptured public interest since dan brown's book - which perhaps
some of your students have read?
- ruben's "death of seneca" is a good example of a painting whose
intepretation has changed over time, with deepening knowledge of
science and history.

just a few ideas - i am sure there are so many more - its a great
question!

----
Lars Hasselblad Torres
www.mixedmedia.us + www.peacetiles.net