Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: April 17, 2007

From: Donna Pumphrey (dpumphrey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2007 - 05:57:13 PDT

Thanks Judy,

That's exactly what I was looking for. I send digital pictures when

Thanks again,

Subject: Re: Paper Mache and Balloon Sculptures
From: "Judy Decker" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:42:26 -0400

Hi Donna,

I don't think you saw it on this list a few weeks ago. I made a post
over a year ago about this student art gallery:
Zart Art has a students' art gallery which features the art works of
primary and secondary students from around Victoria.
Go to 2005 Term 3

See if this takes you to the project:

If you do this lesson, please submit images to Incredible Art
Department - no detailed lesson plan is necessary (unless you want to
write one). I will credit the source of the idea (Camberwell Grammar).

My post for December 12, 2005:

I would like to invite you to visit Zart Art Student Art Gallery:
Ainsley Burdell sent the link to Art Education list.

There are many good project ideas - browse other terms too.

Here is one idea I found - Organic Sculpture (Term 3 - 2005).
All sculptures began with a paper mache balloon - then were expanded
with cones, cylindars, tubes, etc. They were painted with one color (a
tint) - plus black and white. The results were striking - somewhat
whimsical. I'll see if I can find examples online for the artists the
lesson mentioned as inspiration.
" Debra Helpin, Augustine Dall'Ava , Rose Nolan and Robert Klippel. We
also looked at the organic qualities of nature's own formations, such
sea urchins and sea stars, and the wonderfully whimsical works of
artist Bronwyn Oliver."

Many of the images are accompanied with "how tos" to get you started.
I think this Organic Sculpture lesson is suitable for upper elementary
through high school.

The plaster cast hands (using latex gloves) was a neat idea too (same

Judy Decker

On 4/17/07, Donna Pumphrey wrote:
> A few weeks ago I saw a link somewhere for a lesson plan about Paper
> Mache/Balloon Sculptures. They were made from balloons, paper mache,
> fitted with "extensions" , then painted with wild patterns and colors.
> There was a sculptor's name also with a link to his work. Was it here?
> or has anyone seen it on the web. If so please post link. I want to do
> this with my fifth grade.
> Thanks,
> Donna

Donna Pumphrey
Third Creek Elementary
+ I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say
any other way--things I had no words for.-Georgia O'Keefe

To unsubscribe go to