Re: RE: [teacherartexchange] lesson plans - modify for diverse learners

---------

rpopek_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Apr 17 2007 - 10:37:34 PDT

I have several students with autism with various degrees of abilities. I have a class of students that are very low functioning but have the best sense of humor in the entire school. Many of my lessons for classes with these students are broken down into many small steps. The students that are more able can surmise the next step and the others follow as I demonstrate each step for them. Essentially knowing many of these kids I may even do some of the steps for them to get them started or over a hump and then they can move on. For example we drew a picture and then traced it over in colored glue to give it some texture. I ended tracing the glue over their drawing for some of my lesser able students who found handling and drawing with glue difficult. They then painted once it was dry. Some students are so severely handicapped that I have cut and paste bins for collaging, stamp pads with stamps that are just shapes and paint dawbers that are easy to hold onto. I also have a large selection of stencils and pape
r that you can wet and stick and colored masking tape that can be torn and stuck onto a background.
For a lesson that had most of the students drawing my handicapped students were allowed to choose some animals from the computer which I printed and they cut and colored them in and then colored the environment. It allows them to be succesful and participate without too much frustration. We also have many abstract lessons where they don't need to be as precise and again they are doing the same as the rest of the class.
Those are just some ideas hope it helps.
Renee