[teacherartexchange] Art, anger, tolerance, & violence

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2007 - 08:17:00 PDT

Hearing about campus violence that appears to be based on anger management failure, I would welcome a sharing on what can be done in art education to make our world a better place. What art lessons, projects, and art critique discussions on anger management, on how the world is often unfair, on how to respond, and on racial equality are being included in our elementary, middle school, and high school art classes. What are the mental health benefits you are seeing, and how do we facilitate and encourage these? If you have something to share, the rest of us could benefit from your ideas. A primary purpose of art is to reflect on life, express life, and inform life. What are the things we are doing that allow students to do this in their work or to rehearse and prepare to do this.

Marvin