RE: [teacherartexchange] thesis project help

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ELLEN.SEARS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 17:39:11 PDT

HI Julie -

I have done memory paintings with my classes when they are writing
personal narratives in class (part of our state wide writing program)...

I start with a simple activity looking for clues in a Carman Lomas Garza
print - what clues did the artist share to tell a story... I can share
more off the list if you want....

On to Grandma Moses - we do a simple writing piece on what story the
painting shows - focusing on the five senses as a pre-write...
Then I use a couple of Garza books to look at narrative paintings -

Depending on the age and maturity of the group we go on to the work of
another artist that started late in life... he has images of his
grandfather's grocery store... and the Holocaust. I don't have the book
in front of me, and I can't think of his name right now -

Ellen

My idea is to write about using "personal narrative" art projects with
middle school inner city students as a way of engaging them as well as a
way of helping them learn about themselves and gain self-esteem.
Julie Brady
Art Teacher
Knapp Charter Academy