RE: [teacherartexchange] lesson plans - modify for diverse learners

---------

From: familyerickson (familyerickson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 17:18:57 PDT

Angie,
Autism is a spectrum disorder which means that a student can have various
forms of autism ranging from slightly affected to severely affected.
Because it causes different sensitivities in different students there really
isn't a one-time answer to your question. However, the current student I
have who has autism wants and needs an example right in front of him to
copy. So, I would have to prepare an example of the project or at minimum
an outline of a turtle for him to look at and copy. He cannot refer to the
whiteboard but needs a private-personal example to use. He also doesn't
deal well with sharing that example. Once he starts the project he is
usually ok and sometimes goes off in a creative direction of his own. I
let him go and accept whatever product he develops it into. But if I don't
offer that structure to get him started he has a meltdown and isn't able to
participate at all. I hope this helps - it really depends on your
student....
Cindy