[teacherartexchange] Charles Wilbert White - African American social realist

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 15:52:07 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Sergio introduced me to Charles Wilbert White (1918-1979). He was at
one time married to Elizabeth Catlett. Brief biographical information
can be found on line.

Here is link on Artcyclopedia. Most of the works Sergio sent me are linked here:
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/white_charles_wilbert.html

He is listed as an African American painter, but most of the works
online are drawings or prints.

Those you looking for examples of subtractive charcoal drawing will
want to take a look at this.
Harvest Talk - at Art Institute of Chicago
http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/prints/highlight_item?acc=1991.126&page=7

Read about this time period in African American Art.
African American Art: Abstraction and Realism during the Postwar Years:
http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/a/african_american_6.html

some info and works at Paul R Jones Collection:
http://www.museums.udel.edu/jones/archive/archive_pages/artist_pages/white.html

From Sergio:

Love Letter - Image http://www.nga.gov/cgi-bin/pimage?54675+0+0

Untitled - Image http://www.nga.gov/cgi-bin/pimage?64061+0+0

Index_White http://www.oberlin.edu/amam/Index_White.htm

Trenton Six | Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, Texas
http://www.cartermuseum.org/works-of-art/2004-16

National Academy Museum and School of Fine Arts
http://www.nationalacademy.org/perm/white.html

http://americanart.si.edu/images/1979/1979.155.1_1b.jpg

Charles White - Past Auction Results
http://www.artnet.com/Artists/LotDetailPage.aspx?lot_id=0398B5D00C0BAF10B8F706952EB0BFCF