Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Charles Wilbert White - African American social realist

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 15:52:07 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Sergio introduced me to Charles Wilbert White (1918-1979). He was at
one time married to Elizabeth Catlett. Brief biographical information
can be found on line.

Here is link on Artcyclopedia. Most of the works Sergio sent me are linked here:

He is listed as an African American painter, but most of the works
online are drawings or prints.

Those you looking for examples of subtractive charcoal drawing will
want to take a look at this.
Harvest Talk - at Art Institute of Chicago

Read about this time period in African American Art.
African American Art: Abstraction and Realism during the Postwar Years:

some info and works at Paul R Jones Collection:

From Sergio:

Love Letter - Image

Untitled - Image

Trenton Six | Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, Texas

National Academy Museum and School of Fine Arts

Charles White - Past Auction Results

shows three works

Enjoy the surf,

Judy Decker