Re:[teacherartexchange] Magritte's "The Future of Statues" - painted plaster relief

---------

From: Marta Pinto (marta.martapinto_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 09:04:21 PDT

Hello,

About my blog http://linkarte.blogspot.com from now on I am
translating all the posts to English. First you find the post in
Portuguese and then the translation in color grey.

:)
Marta

From: "Judy Decker" <judy.decker@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:04:11 -0400

Dear Art Educators,

I know many of your use Magritte for inspiration in surreal units. I
thought this image might inspire a 3-D lesson.
The Future of Statues:
http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ViewWork?workid=3D9161&searchid=3D37375

"This work is made from a commercial plaster reproduction of the death
mask of the French Emperor Napoleon. Magritte painted at least five of
these casts, each with sky and clouds. Discussing the works, the
artist's friend the Surrealist poet Paul Noug=E9 suggested an
association between death, dreams and the depth of the sky. He
commented: 'a patch of sky traversed by clouds and dreams [can]
transfigure the very face of death in a totally unexpected way'."
(from display tag)

If you use the plastic mask molds - cast the strips on the INSIDE of
the mask for a smoother finish for painting. Adapt Bunki Kramer's
lesson idea "Mask-scapes"
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/masks.htm
(scroll down)

I was introduced to this image on Marta Pinto's blog (teacher from Portugal=
)
http://linkarte.blogspot.com
Her blog is in Portuguese - but you can see that she has been
interested in a lot of the same topics we have (smile). I "met" Marta
on Getty list and Dr. Roland's Art Education 2.0.
http://arted20.ning.com/

Regards,

Judy Decker