Re: [teacherartexchange] thesis project help

---------

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2007 - 19:33:46 PDT

Julie,

Good luck with your proposal. I would start by
encouraging the students to let you know about their
personal narratives and the personal resources they
have identified themselves. I would use a social
constructivist approach where the students themselves
identify the resources and you would facilitate the
process of discovery.

Perhaps you could broaden the concept of resources:
perhaps it can be the local environment in which these
students lives: stores, street signs, buildings and
the people who have lived in the community. Perhaps
events or traditions or crimes, conditions, values etc
could be considered resources. Past newspapers,
county records, diaries, oral histories, relationships
between people, music, videos, etc.

Perhaps the students could create resources as well
that describe their community and they could use
primary sources from their neighborhoods as content.
Perhaps the visual culture of their community could be
considered a resource. Just some thoughts. I hope
this helps.

Cheers,

Diane

--- Julie Brady <7.jbrady@heritageacademies.com>
wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am relatively new to the list - I was a member a
> few years back, discontinued it for a while, and
> have now rejoined. (Although I have kept track of a
> few of your websites as great resources - thanks
> Bunki and Woody!) I am getting ready to write my
> thesis project proposal for my Masters in Art
> Education. My idea is to write about using
> "personal narrative" art projects with middle school
> inner city students as a way of engaging them as
> well as a way of helping them learn about themselves
> and gain self-esteem. The charter school I work at
> has gone through a population change over the past
> few years from most upper middle class students to
> more inner city lower socio-economic students. As
> middle school teachers, we have been scrambling to
> keep up with the change and adapt our teaching to
> what these students need. Through trial and error,
> I have begun to realize that art projects that focus
> on art history and traditional techniques are
> disconnected from these students lives and therefore
> do not engage them., They seem to respond much more
> to art that gives them an opportunity to tell about
> their lives. I am looking for resources to support
> my idea and would appreciate any help you all could
> give me. We need at least 10 professional resources
> before we can propose our idea. Thanks so much for
> your help and I look forward to participating in
> this list again!
>
> Julie Brady
> Art Teacher
> Knapp Charter Academy